Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Be Yourself (Tag Tutorial)

Kempertag5282013

Marjie Kemper here with a tag using several Sizzix dies and loads of Ranger Distress Inks.  I started by adhering Ranger's Manila Cardstock to Grunge Paper using Glue 'N Seal, because I wanted this to be a fairly sturdy and really wanted the flourishes raised up for dimension.

I die-cut the parts I needed from the Tag & Bookplate, Elegant Flourishes, and Pediment Sizzix dies. Kim would be happy to special-order any she doesn't have in stock... just shoot her an email.

DSC03042

I chose the largest of the stamps from Tim's Way With Words set:


After inking up my stamp, pediments, and flourishes with Distress Inks using an Ink Blending tool, I stamped the sentiment onto the tag in Jet Black Archival Ink.  Then I laid my inked flourishes on top of scrap paper (where I'd already stamped the sentiment) and stamped the sentiment again on top of them:

DSC03043

I ran the Pediment pieces through my Vagabond using the Mini Rays Texture Fades embossing folder:
 DSC03047 

and attached them with redline tape and long fasteners:
  DSC03048 
 I used a toothpick to apply Matte Medium to the back of the flourishes:

DSC03049

and hammered the brads for a more distressed look:
DSC03051 
I really like the way this came out. I'd probably pick a stamp that doesn't have so many unique parts to line up if I did it again, but that may have helped in that it gave me a lot of different reference points to be sure it was on straight.  The Matte Medium was the perfect adhesive because it dries clear, so any excess is unseen. 

DSC03054

DSC03058

Kempertag5282013

I'd like to thank Kim for the opportunity to be on the eclectic Paperie design team for these last six months.  It's  been a delight!  Though I won't be continuing on as this term ends, I look forward to driving to New Hampshire in September to teach classes in person at Kim's new studio location.

All the details will be posted on the EP blog by June 15, but for now please save the date if you can join us there the weekend of September 21-22.  Thanks for visiting today!

Marjie

11 comments:

toni said...

Gorgeous tag Marjie ! Love the colours and the inspired way you have used the flourish die cut, how on earth did you think to do that with the stamping on top? Genius idea! Wishing you good luck in your future ventures, and maybe one day i will get to meet you and maybe take one of your workshops! Roll on retirement xxx

Claudine said...

Beautiful tag Marjie, I love the way you stamped the flourishes and lined them up. Awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Marjies your tag is beautiful!! Love the colors, so bright and cheery and the technique of stamping on the die cuts is awesome, I will definitely be trying that! We'll miss seeing your great work here! Best of everything to you! :)

Broni said...

Dang, Marjie! This is just fantastic!!! LOVE how the letters line up but the colors don't! Awesome!

Inkypinkycraft said...

looks fab x

Micki said...

ooohhhh love it. Never thought to do the stamping over die cuts and then line them up. awesome. wish I didn't live so dang far from the east coast....... :-(

Annette Green said...

I love it, Marjie. This is right up my alley! I love how you used the rays to emboss the pediments. That was perfect. We'll miss having you here, but you can be sure we'll be following you wherever you go.

famillemarleau said...

Beautiful tag. Love the colors and how the flourishes look on it. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Patty said...

Really wonderful work, thanks for the tutorial

Bonnie Irvine said...

You have such an eye for colour combining. This tag is stunning...so vibrant and the contrast of the black words is so striking. I love the stamping over the flourishes and the embossing of the pediments. It's been a privilege to be on the team with you, Marjie.

Tracy said...

Marjie totally stunning, your work always inspires me!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox