Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hope Springs Eternal

Hi there ePers!  It's Erin here today on this fabulous Saturday!  I have an art journal entry for you today!  I've been trying to find time to create in it, and this week I was able to carve out some time to get a page done!  Whoo hoo!

Here we have the complete page.  Below, I will break the page down.  This is a VERY simple page!  I keep looking at it, like I need to add something!  Some sort of hardware, but then it would lose the softness!
Ok, so how did I start?  Well, I started by flipping through my (now half torn out) Sweet Disposition stack by Cosmo Cricket.  I LOVE this stack!  It's SO versatile, and the colors blend so nicely together!  The theme in this stack is, I don't know, can you tell?  HEXAGONS!  My favorite shape!

One of the pages is just florals, which I usually turn to.  It's my comfort zone.  I thought about different layouts, but then I decided, because of the way the paper was created, to cut the paper and create two corner pieces.  There are cream scallops with the flowers, so I used those as my guidelines.

Then, I took my Hexagon Grunge Stencil by Donna Downey, and w/ a paint brush and Titan Buff Golden fluid acrylic paint, I stipple painted the hexagons all over the page.  I wanted to create a mask on top of the blue floral paper to kind of hide it, as well as create a subtle background without adding more paper.


After the paint dried, I pulled my Teal Golden Fluid Acrylic Paint and Gel Medium, and mixed them together to create a soft teal gel.  Then, I smeared it on my Tattered Chicken Wire stamp like you would butter your bread.  The gel gets in all of the nooks and crannies, and when you stamp, some of it's goopy, but when you stamp again w/out re-inking, you get a really cool look!



{One thing I forgot to mention, is that I took pure Teal paint onto my palette knife and flung droplets on the page.  That's what the drops of paint are!}

Ok, then, I started cutting out hexagons on one of the pages from the Sweet Dispositions stack.  I took plain  Gel Medium, and essentially painted the middle of the page.  In this fashion, I'm using it as a glue.  Then, I arranged the cut hexagons over the Gel Medium and then painted over them to create a finish.







To create the shadows of the hexagons, I took my Acqua Dolce Gelato (found in the 50's Diner Collection), and colored the bottom and 1/2 side of each hexagon.  Then, I took my White Gelato and created highlights on the top and opposite 1/2 side of each hexagon.    Then, I had to get fancy, and add some calligraphy to finish the page!




I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!  Thank you for stopping by!
Don't forget to stop at the eclectic Paperie store and get some new goodies!!!
Erin

8 comments:

toni said...

Love this page ! Those hexagons look as if they are floating

Words and Pictures said...

So beautiful, Erin! I love the various hexagons - paper, paint, gel - all meeting in such pretty colours and textures - delicious!
Alison x

Kim said...

Lovely page, Erin! I love all those hexagons! Great tips on how you used all the products too!

Monique said...

Love this page, beautiful texture and color. Don't you just love flinging paint around... I wish I discovered that sooner =)

Marjie Kemper said...

What a beautiful page, Erin! Such a great combo of the stenciled and diecut hexies... love it!

Teresa Jaye said...

oh how lovely Erin. The color palette is so serene and pretty. Love the stamping with the teal paint - it came out perfectly imperfect!

Unknown said...

Very cool Erin! Love the great colors and all those fab hexagons!!

Tracy said...

Oh my giddy aunt Erin...stunning,love the softness you created..looks like the hexagons are floating!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxo